Saturday, June 14, 2008

Intro: Archaeology Dig!

My name is Trey and I teach Biblical Studies and Latin at The Woodlands Christian Academy in The Woodlands, Texas. I have been awarded a $5,000 grant by Fund for Teachers (http://www.fundforteachers.org/) to engage in a self-designed professional study abroad. I have chosen to participate in the Tel Gezer Project which is a joint venture between Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and the Israeli Antiquities Authority (as well as other institutions). Here is their website if you would like more information about the project (http://www.gezerproject.org/).

I leave in a few days and will be gone for 5 weeks! During my time in Israel I will be working on an archaeology dig located on the site of the 10th century Judean city of Gezer. During my time at Gezer I will be studying archaeology theory, principles, and methodology so that I can teach an archaeology course at my school (TWCA). I am in the process of building a 50' x 50' simulated dig site on our campus. It will have 3 layers/strata of artifacts and features that fit 3 eras of Israelite history. Our students will uncover, extricate, identify, and report on their findings.

More to come later . . .

No comments: