Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My New Palestinian Friends

Hey, just had an amazing time. I noticed a bunch of Arab children running around Neve Shalom. They seemed to be visiting and they kept calling out to all the Americans as they went by. After my 3rd trip past them and after our lecture, I stopped to visit with them. Their teacher spoke English and told me that they were from a Palestinian refugee camp. She had been given a grant by a group from Holland to take them out of the camp for 24 hours. They had come to Neve Shalom for the day and night to swim, play, enjoy the food, and stay the night. I asked them their names, what their favorite school subjects were, did they like music, etc. They, of course, laughed as I tried to pronounce their names. When their leader told them it was time to come eat (apparently they were waiting for our group to get through the line first), they descended like a mob on the food line . . . piling up the food like they had never eaten before, and would never get a chance to eat again. I went ahead and got my food and sat at a table with 6 of the children. Had a blast! I put tabasco on my food and really played up the "my mouth is on fire and I'm about to die" look. They laughed hysterically . . . I had an audience! You know how much I love that! We had a good time. I learned much about them and from them.

Just wanted to share that. God gave me an amazing opportunity to share myself with these children and for them to share themselves with me.

God is good!

Shalom

No comments: