Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 13
















Day 13 . . . 2 work weeks down and 3 to go! Today is our last day of the week to work at the site. We leave first thing in the morning for our Northern tour of the Galilee region. I'm not certain if I'll have internet access (without paying for it) at the hotel we will stay at, so I may not be able to blog until Sunday night when we return.

Today a film crew came around interviewing and filming the project. Dr. Ortiz had told us ahead of time that they would be coming. They are filming for some documentary. Don't know all the info, but I'll get it. They interviewed many of us.

Funny story . . . amongst the crew in my square I am kind of the scrounger for the group. If we need it, I'll find it . . . "appropriate it" or "liberate it" from its (at that time) owner/user. A couple of days ago we got a wheelbarrow that had only one handle with a rubber cover. The other handle was bare medal. Doesn't feel too good on the hand, even the gloved hand. On one of my wheelbarrow runs I approached one of the groups that had two wheelbarrows (they are much closer to the dump spot) and one of the young ladies was about to take one of them to the dump. I asked if I could take it for her and of course she said, "yes!" So, I left mine there, took hers and then went right on back to my square with her wheelbarrow . . . with two rubber handles! All's fair in love and archaeology digging! Well, today, my compadre was too slow in getting our wheelbarrow and this time he came back with NO RUBBER HANDLES!!! No problem! Took my first load. Stopped on the way back and parked my wheelbarrow next to another empty wheelbarrow (with rubber handles), bent down to "tie my shoes," stood up and took the wheelbarrow next to mine! SCORE!!!! Learned that in a spy movie, but it wasn't wheelbarrows, but briefcases with secret documents and cool spy stuff! (I knew watching all that TV would come in handy!)

I know right now my mom and dad are reading this and shaking their heads in disapproval. I know you raised me better than that, but I'm a changed man. The desert will do that to you! Again, all's fair . . .

We did get to stop at the store today!!! I bought Coke (no Dr. Pepper available!), Oreos, some pita chips, Pringles (jalapeno flavor), Hagen Dazs ice cream (cookies and cream), ice cream fudge bars, bath soap, laundry soap ($20!!!!!!!!), and a bucket for doing laundry.

Spent an hour in the shower doing laundry. Again, the shower is the size of a small phone booth (for those of you old enough to have seen one). Very tricky, Ninja-like maneuvers had to be employed in order to get this done! I've got laundry hanging all over the place outside. Balcony railing, the railing of our neighbors across the walkway, etc. Everybody has laundry everywhere. There is no modesty here . . . all garments have to be washed and dried somehow! Over in the states this simply would not work for me, but here in Israel, my Sponge Bob boxers and Mountain Dew boxers are flapping in the wind!

It's funny, generally speaking I don't go out amongst people without being decently dressed and hair spiked or a hat on. However, we spend 8 hours a day looking absolutely filthy, covered in dirt . . . shirts grimy, shorts puffing dirt with every step, socks that just an hour earlier were white or tan are now dark brown, face, neck, arms dirt covered, blowing dirty mud-slicks out of our noses on the bus ride home . . . so when we get back to "civilization" at Neve Shalom, it really doesn't matter what we look like. When I clean up, I wear shorts and a t-shirt and my sandals, and I don't worry about my hair being fixed, shirt ironed, face shaved. Everybody is in the same boat . . . we're just happy to be clean and around others who are clean!!!

Tonight we had a 4th of July celebration BBQ . . . hot dogs (terrible, not sure what's in them), hamburger patty (no buns, but pita bread), grilled chicken thighs, and all the other fixings that go with an Israeli meal. They fixed it for us outside on their grassy, party area. They had a sound system set up and one of the Israelis was our DJ. It was interesting. The first hour was spent playing the soundtrack from Hair (not Hair Spray), the even older musical (1970's) Hair!! Funny choice. Eventually, Simon and Garfunkel, and some other oldies. Eventually they busted out some current songs. Many of the folks stood around and visited and some were in a large circle throwing a frisbee. Everybody is just glad to have the next 3 days off!

Tonight they put out a display of a few of the things that have been found and already cleaned, analyzed, and documented. I took pics and will upload some. They had 2 of the things that I have found . . . a stone weight and a pottery shard worked and used as a stopper for a jug. So far some pretty cool finds. About 6 or 7 Scarab seals were found. The details on them are amazing. You'll really enjoy those pics!

Been playing chess with anybody who will play. Haven't found anybody who can stand up to the master! Waiting for a challenge!

I am missing bacon . . . anything pork really! I've been dreaming about baby back ribs (I did 4 racks of them before I left . . . they sure were tasty!), bacon wrapped jalapenos, jalapeno bacon (from HEB . . . go get some, you'll love it), chipolte grilled shrimp, Whataburger, fajitas, tortilla chips and salsa . . .

Well, I guess I'd better go get ready for our trip. Need to pack (see if any of my clothes are dry, yet). I miss you guys. Can't wait to get back and share the trip with y'all!

I'm putting pics in the blog instead of adding them a different way, but can't figure out how to put titles, so here is what is pictured . . .
Pics 1, 2, 3, scarab seals (check out the details)
Pic 4 Loom weights
Pic 5 Part of a zoomorphic jug (possibly lion's muzzle with whiskers)
Pic 6 Weights for scale
Pic 7 Zoomorphic jug
Pic 8 Ballista (weapon . . . ball used in sling or some other device)
Pic 9 Cosmetics bowl
Pic 10 Stopper for jug
Pic 11 Dr. Ortiz (left) and his father, Frank, age 70
Pic 12 Me and Mark, square buddy
Pic 13 Food at 4th of July BBQ
Pic 14 Ghassan (Palestinian arch. student) and Eddie (Israeli roustabout, he's our go-to-guy for getting things)
Pic 15 Husband and wife and can't remember their names (oops)

Just saw a really cool fire works display while I was trying to upload the pics. Saw them in the valley East of here. Pretty cool! Happy 4th of July!


Shalom!

Trey

1 comment:

Tara Powell said...

Hey! Hope your trip goes great this weekend! To label your pictures...after you upload your pictures you can press enter on top or under your picture to put an extra space between them to type. Another extra--if you click the picture you can drag it to wherever you want on the post! Let me know if you need any more help!